Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
865 DeShong Dr.
Paris, Texas 75260
Paris Regional Medical Center has a 23-bed Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit featuring a comprehensive program with a full complement of aggressive inpatient rehabilitation services tailored to each patient’s needs. Our services include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy (including vital stim dysphasia training), 24-hour rehabilitation nursing, 24-hour rehabilitation physician availability, wound care, pain management, nutrition, prostheic/orthotic, dialysis, and medical specialties to assist in managing patients conditions.
The Rehabilitation Unit provides services for patients who have sustained functional loss due to a disabling illness or injury, including the following but not limited to:
- Stroke (CVA)
- Mild to moderate brain injury
- Multiple trauma
- Hip fractures
- Other orthopedic disorders
- Degenerative & progressive neurological disorders
- Pain syndromes
- Other disabling conditions
- Spinal cord Injury
Patients are accepted from any venue, even home or physician’s offices without a hospital stay.
Criteria for inpatient rehab admission must include the following:
- Patient must have the need for 2 of the 3 therapy disciplines (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and/or Speech Therapy)
- Patient must have the ability to participate and benefit from intense therapy program
- Patient must require physician supervision
- Patient must have an interdisciplinary team approach to the delivery of care
A rehabilitation professional evaluates a patient’s readiness for admission based on the following criteria:
- Patient demonstrates potential for functioning improvements.
- Patient meets admission criteria guidelines set by Medicare or their private insurance carrier.
- The patient is medically capable of participating in the rehabilitation process.
- Can tolerate three hours of progressive therapy daily.
If these criteria are met, admissions to the rehabilitation unit may be accepted from an acute care hospital, a post-hospital setting, or from home. Since we believe family members play an integral part in a patient’s recovery, we encourage family or other support persons to actively participate in the rehabilitation process.
Upon admission, our staff will provide a program orientation. An initial evaluation will be completed and a written treatment plan will be shared with the patient and family. Our medical director will manage all medical care needs of the patient, including rehabilitative and general medical care. We will automatically furnish patient status and progress information to the referring physician.
Our admission procedures are designed to provide simple, timely, and appropriate attention to the needs of patients and their physician. Our program director and community relations coordinator are available to assist physicians, patients, and their families in the referral process.
Referrals can be made by physicians and other health care professionals, discharge planners, nurse case managers, insurance case managers, family members, and patients themselves. Following a referral, a pre-admission screening process will be completed. To make a referral please call (903) 737-1315 or (903) 737-1320. Information regarding a referral can be faxed to (903) 737-1323.
A prescreening evaluation will be performed, with the medical director giving final approval. The referring facility or physician, patient and family will be notified and in most cases, our program director and/or community relations coordinator will meet with patients and their families prior to admission.
The rehab team will discuss the patient’s status during a weekly team conference where the recommended length of stay for our program is decided, as well as recommendations of appropriate discharge destination. Appropriate referrals will be made, family notified and an appointment set up with the referring and family physician. All recommendations for post-discharge care will be provided to the patient and family.
Physical – Occupational – Speech Therapy: (903) 737-1108
Fax: (903) 737-1158
Both the inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation centers on located at Paris Regional Medical Center-North Campus, 865 DeShong Drive, Paris, Texas 75460.
Norberto Vargas, M.D.
- Diplomat of the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Diplomat of the American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Diplomat of the American Board of Pain Medicine
- Certified Medical Review Officer (AAMRO)
Doctor of Medicine Ponce School of Medicine
388 Zona Ind. Reparadaz Ponce, Puerto Rico 00716
John Paul “JP” Benavides, DO, MS, MPH
- Diplomat of the American Board of Physical Medicine with Board Certification in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Subspecialty Board Certification in Sports Medicine
- Diplomat of the American Board of Pain Medicine with Board Certification in Pain Management
Medical School – DO, MPH
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth (UNTHSCFW), Sept 1997 – May 19, 2001