The siren of summer calls to all to get out and enjoy the beautiful, warm weather. And outdoor activities boost our vitamin D intake and provide the exercise we need for physical wellbeing. Did you know that being physically active can provide protection from a variety of diseases including type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even some cancers? Paris Regional Medical Center wants you to stay healthy by having fun in the sun.
Reducing your risk of various diseases can be as simple as getting outdoors and getting active. Regular physical activity provides many additional benefits to fighting disease, including these:
- Help with maintaining your weight at a healthy level
- Lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Lowering your risk of osteoporosis by strengthening your bones
- Lowering risk of falls by increasing flexibility
- Reducing stress levels by improving mental and physical wellbeing
- Aids in achieving a good night’s sleep
With all these benefits from having fun, who’s not interested? Sign me up! So what are some activities that provide these advantages? Attempt to incorporate 30 minutes of exercise a day by trying a few of these fun outings.
- Take a walk with a friend. You get both exercise and companionship.
- Bicycle riding
- A game of golf, or mini-golf with the kids or grandkids
- Go camping
- Hike in the hills or the woods
Some wonderful indoor activities include
- Touring museums and art galleries
Staying cool during summertime activities is imperative. When you’re outdoors, be sure to wear light-weight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Wear sunscreen to protect your skin from the summer sun. Protect yourself from ticks and mosquitoes. If you have long hair, clip it up off your neck to stay cooler. Stay hydrated – keep a water bottle with you and include sports drinks to replenish your electrolytes that you lose through sweat. Eat lighter by enjoying salads and chilled fruit at mealtime. And when it’s time to come in, chill out and refresh with a cool shower.
If you’re concerned about your health before beginning the summertime activities, visit your doctor for a discussion of your physical condition and the benefits of exercise. Paris Regional Medical Center provides a wide range of medical services and specialties for our community. When you or your loved ones need medical care of the highest quality with genuine compassion, we are here to treat you well. Stay healthy and have fun in the summer sun!